Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Preschool!

It's been getting exciting around here, lately. Collin turned two last month, which made him finally old enough for an honest to goodness homeschool preschool program.

Let's just say, I've become an internet researching machine lately, as I navigate where to start. How do you begin homeschooling? I've waited so long for this moment, and I'm reveling. I have such a passion for teaching children, and such a passion for being a mother, and when they can merge like this, I'm just in heaven. That's a whole lot of passion, y'all.

Through reading and reading and reading about homeschool preschool, I've become aware of the teachable moments that are right under my nose. Like, the other day, when Collin was too feverish to go to the strawberry festival and then see his daddy's long awaited performance. So instead, we stayed in our jammies all day and fed each other blueberries out of the carton. Collin put a ton in my mouth, and then asked for them back. This became our first anatomy lesson, as I explained where food goes when we swallow it, and what food does for our bodies (gives us energy, of course! I only briefly touched on how food like blueberries give you more energy than food like chips. That's a whole other conversation).

So, I've been asking myself a lot of questions. What do I want in a homeschool program? How do I envision our homeschooling journey? What is really important for Collin to know? Homeschooling is not something I take lightly. It is a tremendous responsibility, with no time off. However, it is also a chance to bond with my child as he grows older, to be there for every intellectual  milestone, just as I always have. It's an amazing opportunity to guide him to grow up a kind, aware person, not just a smart one.

I've found myself leaning toward the Waldorf philosophy of education. I'm in love with it's emphasis on whole child, mindfulness, imagination. Yes, please! Collin and I had our first circle time this morning, and I could see the start of something really special. I'm ready for you, preschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment