Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Learning Corner.





Let me introduce you to the new member of our family:



Collin's learning corner.





It has become the heart beat of our home. It is a sacred space for Collin to learn, play, and just be.


The fish tank, home sweet home to Papa Grande and Senora Grande. The other fish bellied up almost as soon as we got him home, poor fella (I'm secretly glad Collin can't count).

In one long weekend, we all worked tirelessly and with great enthusiasm, to create our Waldorf- inspired space. The moss, home to magic things, is slowly evolving into a little nature/fairy bowl of goodness, complete with a fancy pine cone and a tiny toy duckie. We also got some cacti and a "Learning Tree," and Collin has been given responsibility of watering them all, and feeding the fish and helping with the care of the tank. He takes his job VERY seriously, and with much delight, and he feels so big and proud of himself for it. He has become quite the little helper, lately.

The learning corner is where the homeschooling magic happens. We gather there every day for Circle Time, and we sing songs and put on a puppet show about the Feeling Of The Day. Collin keeps trying to lure me back all day long for more "Puppeh sow."

The most interesting part of this process, is how much I'm getting to know Collin, and how much we are bonding. For the first time, I'm really tuning in to the way Collin works, thinks, and just generally Is. I'm letting go of unfair hopes and expectations I was putting on him in my mind, and embracing the wonderfully silly little boy that is really him. I'm challenging him with responsibility, and he's stepping up, growing up. I feel like he's grown so much in this past week, just since we've seriously started homeschooling.

Did I mention the other reason I'm so excited about Collin's Learning Corner, aside from having a space for learning? 
To make room, we FINALLY got rid of the awful cat pee couch! Hooray! My life really is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment